Springs are mechanical devices typically made of resilient materials like metal or plastic that can store and release mechanical energy. They play a crucial role in various applications and industries, providing elasticity and returning to their original shape after deforming or compressing.
With a history dating back to 1969, Draco Spring Mfg. has become one of the largest custom spring manufacturers globally. We also offer diverse services to various markets, including wire forming and metal stamping.
History and Growth
In its early years, Draco Spring focused on producing valve and actuator springs, meeting the stringent tolerances required by the US Navy and nuclear equipment standards. This commitment to precision laid the foundation for Draco’s reputation as a reliable and high-quality spring manufacturer.
As the years progressed, the company experienced steady growth and diversification. Draco’s ability to consistently deliver exceptional products led to its expansion into various markets, including aerospace, oil and gas, stock cars, and more. Our dedication to meeting the evolving needs of our customers propelled us to become the biggest name in spring manufacturing today.
Facilities and Workforce
Draco Spring’s impressive facility in Houston, TX, comprises 13 buildings spanning 110,000 square feet. This expansive physical footprint allows us to house the advanced machinery and equipment required for the intricate processes involved in custom spring manufacturing. We are conveniently located just minutes from Houston’s Hobby Airport, ensuring efficient logistics and timely deliveries to our diverse customer base.
The facility houses approximately 150 employees, each contributing their skills and expertise to ensure the company’s smooth operation. Our dedicated workforce encompasses a range of roles, including customer service professionals, inspectors, sales personnel, and production experts.
With decades of experience, Draco Spring has solidified its position as a leading force in the design and manufacturing of custom springs. Here are the services we offer:
1. Diverse Spring Production
We can produce almost every spring type, wire form, and metal stamping. Our seasoned team can craft bespoke solutions to meet the needs of diverse industries, whether it is compression, torsion, or any other specialized springs.
3. Coiling Solutions
Draco’s coiling capabilities cover a broad spectrum. We accommodate hot coiling for springs as large as 2.687″ in diameter and up to 45-foot lengths. In addition, we offer cold coiling of up to 1.75″ wire/bar size.
4. Coating Options
We offer a range of coating options to enhance springs’ durability and performance. This includes Powder Coat, Thermadep, Nickel, Tectyl, Sermagard, Cadmium Plating, Xylan, and traditional paint. Our coating services ensure that each spring is tailored to withstand the specific environmental demands of its application.
5. Metal Forming
Draco’s capabilities extend beyond springs to encompass various metal forms. These include sway bars, eye bolts, elevator “C” springs, snap rings, wire forms, metal stampings, and spring clips.
6. Additional Services
Beyond our core offerings, we provide additional services to ensure comprehensive client support. Some of these are centerless grinding, parkerizing, and shot peening for enhancing fatigue strength. We also offer a variety of testing methods — such as Magnaflux, liquid penetrant testing, and load testing — to detect defects and verify quality and performance.
Diverse Production Materials
At Draco Spring, we can produce springs from a vast range of raw materials, with a substantial inventory exceeding $3 million. Here are some of the materials we work with:
- Bar: Draco utilizes various bar materials, including 5160, 6150, 4130, and 4140.
- Oil temper: Oil-tempered steel ensures durability and resilience in springs, allowing them to achieve specific mechanical properties.
- Chrome vanadium: This material is best known for its high tensile strength and resistance to wear and corrosion.
- Chrome silicon: This alloy offers excellent fatigue resistance, making it a preferred choice for springs subjected to dynamic loads.
- Music wire: Known for its uniformity and consistent performance, music wire is employed in crafting springs with precision and reliability.
- Stainless steel: Draco utilizes various stainless steel grades — including 316, 17-7, 17-A, and A-286 — to create corrosion-resistant springs suitable for demanding environments.
- Inconel: This family of alloys — including 600, X750, 625, and 718 — is employed in crafting springs that can withstand extreme temperatures and corrosive environments.
- Monel: With grades like 400 and K-500, Monel provides exceptional resistance to corrosion, making it ideal for applications in harsh environments.
- MP 35 N: This superalloy is known for its high strength and finds applications in heavy-duty operations.
- Elgiloy: Recognized for its biocompatibility and resistance to corrosion, Elgiloy is often used in medical applications.
- Beryllium copper: This material is often employed in electronic or electrical applications for its high conductivity and strength.
- Brass: Utilized for its malleability and conductivity, brass finds applications in various industries.
- Hastelloy: This alloy is often preferred for critical applications in corrosive environments.
- Tungsten 4-12: Tungsten is typically used in springs for applications requiring high density and strength.
- 1075 & 1095 BT, annealed carbon strip: Carbon strips and annealed alloys are employed for specific mechanical properties, providing tailored solutions for diverse applications.
- Titanium: This material is renowned for its high strength-to-weight ratio and corrosion resistance, making it suitable for springs used in aerospace and other critical applications.
Over the years, Draco Spring has become a vital supplier to an extensive range of industries, showcasing its versatility and adaptability. Some key sectors we cater to include:
- Automotive: We design and manufacture suspension springs for racing, off-road vehicles, and production vehicles, including the Mustang and Ford F-150.
- Medical devices: We provide high-quality springs for surgical tools and ventilators in critical medical applications.
- Military: Draco supplies quality springs for various military applications, including tanks, ships, submarines, and aircraft.
- Oil and gas: We offer quality springs and wire forms for drilling and downhole tools for the oil and gas industry, including pumps and valves.
- Mining: Draco dominates the spring market in the mining sector with our proprietary pigtail design and manufacturing process.
- Aerospace and NASA: We have collaborated with NASA since Project Apollo, making our springs integral to space exploration, catering to the Space Shuttle, Hubble Telescope, and SpaceX.
Benefits of Working With Draco Spring
In the competitive landscape of custom spring manufacturing, Draco Spring stands apart as a leader thanks to the following key factors:
1. Engineering Excellence
Draco boasts 2D CAD design and modeling capabilities that enable precision in crafting springs tailored to unique specifications. Advanced spring design capabilities further underscore our commitment to pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in spring engineering. We provide a seamless product development journey from concept to production, turning ideas into tangible, high-performance solutions.
2. Uncompromising Quality
At Draco, quality is non-negotiable. Our ISO-9001:2015 compliant quality management system (QMS), N.I.A.C. audit approval, and US military partnership prove our commitment to stringent standards.
3. Advanced Systems
Draco has taken a significant step in enhancing its organizational efficiency by implementing the Macola ES Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tool from Exact Software®. This web-based Microsoft SQL environment provides organizational visibility, control, and measurement across crucial areas — including financial accounting, manufacturing, inventory management, workflow, and order tracking.
Draco Spring: Your Global Partner in Spring Manufacturing Since 1969
With an impressive history, state-of-the-art facilities, and a versatile workforce, Draco Spring Mfg. continues to shape the world of custom spring manufacturing! Our advanced engineering capabilities and commitment to quality make us your ideal partner for custom spring solutions. We can accommodate short-run, rush deliveries, manufacturing springs of almost any size and material on the same day they are ordered.
Contact us today!